Tuesday, March 3, 2015



I am sitting quietly, quietly at the Hospice Care Center. It is a beautiful place of love and light. And I am watching Greg sleep. I've watched him the last few days ... no matter how much pain he is in or how visibly agitated, he always has a compliment and a kind word for his caregiver. He always thanks them. And they all love him; you can tell he has a positive influence on them; even though they treat thousands of different people with hundreds of different concerns they clearly regard him as someone special.
I think: Where have I seen this before? And I remember: my father. Greg is so very like my father in that regard. With both, there were those quick and fearsome flashes of temper when someone or some situation had just gone too far. But never, ever failing to give credit where credit was due.
Even in sickness, helping those around him to feel good.

No comments: