Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Just Being Honest


Sharing this, a screenshot from Twitter, because it's important.

And though they say never to read the comments on social medai, I did, and was (predictably) disappointed at some of the push-back.

So in the spirit of honesty and candor, let me offer my own take on this meme. It is possible to be plain-spoken (honest and candid) and not be thought rude:
  • Most people can perceive your intent, and if you seem to take delight in handing out (often, unsolicited) judgment, you'll be labeled as rude.
  • Your audience can tell if you're deliberately trying to embarrass/humiliate/hurt someone, and if you are, you deserve to be labeled as rude.
  • Make a joke or remark that reduces someone to a label (be it race, gender identity, hair/skin color, political affiliation, heritage, whatever) is rude. I said what I said.  
If you delight in being rude, have at it. But don't try to pretend you're "just being honest."


No comments: